Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The interview is over!

I drove an hour and a half (each way) today for an interview at the Banff Centre and it went well.  The job is an admin assistant in the Film & Media Department but that title vastly underestimates the job duties - it would be an engaging and interesting position.   It was a relaxed and comfortable interview and I got a tour of the facility afterwards, that is always a good sign. 

It would be an amazing job to get but I can do nothing but wait and cross my fingers re the outcome.

On other fronts I have applied for a position at the Chemainus Theatre Festival on Vancouver Island, that would also be an amazing job but my qualifications are definitely on the low end of the scale they are looking for.  One thing I have found during my 6 month job search is that people with 5 or 10 years experience as Production Managers are applying for jobs a new entrant could have got 3 years ago.  The recession has hit the arts sector very hard!  Getting a position at that theatre would allow me to move home again after over 25 years of prairie life.

I had a Skype interview with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School for a 6 month contract position last week but right now they need a tech with production management skills and I am a production manager with tech skills.  :-)  The hopeful side of that interview was that they hope to have a position that would fit me to a T and they want to speak with me again in a few months. 

So the job search continues.  If Banff doesn't come through for me I will likely move back to Victoria in February/March when the highways are in better shape.  The Transcanada highway has been closed several times this month due to avalanche hazards and that is really unusual.  I will definitely err on the side of caution if I do decide to make the trip.

I miss the ocean.  I miss real trees.  I miss having humidity and I miss my family...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting scrambled hen fruit! Blogging is a great way to make new friends. I wish you much luck in your search for a job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you fothe kind reply! I have enjoyed your blog for a few months now. You are right about making friends through blogs...I really feel I know some of the folks who blogs I follow. I love the fact that making do and creating things at home are back in fashion.

    ReplyDelete